BBQ Jerk Chicken
1 whole chicken or equivalent pieces (1- 1.5kgs)
1 tbsp allspice berries
1 tbsp black peppercorns
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
4 spring onions, chopped
2 scotch bonnet or other hot chillies – finely chopped
(use rubber gloves to chop them!)
1 tbsp coconut sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp soy sauce
juice of a lime
- Grind the allspice and peppercorns, and combine with the onions, thyme, cinnamon, nutmeg and chilies.
- Mix and loosen with a splash of olive oil.
- Pour into a wide bowl and stir in the soy sauce, sugar, salt and the lime juice.
- Add the chicken pieces one by one, massaging the mixture into the
chicken as you go (don’t forget to rub under the skin, too).
- Marinate for as long as you can but preferably overnight.
- Heat the oven to 180˚C. Place the chicken pieces in a warmed roasting dish and cover with foil.
- Cook in the oven for 45 mins, then rest the meat until you’re ready to barbecue.
- Finish the chicken pieces on the barbecue, grilling for a minute or two on each side.
Serve with sides or eat as is!
Photo credit: Micheile Henderson